Today Microsoft has released Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10565 for PC in the fast ring. Previous build 10525 was released almost a month back on 18th Sep. It has quite a few new things. Let us check What’s new, known issues and issues fixed in this build.
What’s new in Build 10565:
- Skype messaging, calling and video integrated: In this build one can preview the integrated capabilities of Skype messaging, calling and video.
- Edge browser improvements:
- Tab preview: Just hover mouse over the tab to see the preview.
- Syncing feature: You can now sync your favorites and Reading list items. This feature still is getting refined so one may face some issues.
- Cortana improvements:
- Now Cortana can understand your inked notes - Setting reminders based on locations, times and numbers that she can understand from your digital annotations
Cortana can keep track of your leisure time, like movie and event reminders through your email confirmations
- “Two hours prior to the event start time, you’ll get helpful information to be sure you know where to go and get there on time, including an option to book and track an Uber ride directly from Cortana.”
- Vibrant Title bars: As the Windows Insiders wanted, with this build the title bars appear darker with full color intensity matching the rest of the theme. Enable ‘Show color on Start, Taskbar, Action Center, and Title bars’ from Settings > Personalization > Colors
Also it has been noticed that in this build the feature which was present in previous build 10547 where the modern app icons in taskbar used to adapt to accent color, this feature has been removed in this build.
- Improved Start context menus: Start context menus improved including new icons for tile size adjustment.
- New set of icons: This build adds another batch of new icons for devices. Registry Editor too gets a new icon.
- Device activation improved, accepts earlier OS Product keys: This is an important change. After getting lots of feedback from Insiders, Microsoft has made it easier to activate Windows 10 on devices that were upgraded from Genuine Windows 7, 8, 8.1.
“If you install this build of the Windows 10 Insider Preview on a PC and it doesn’t automatically activate, you can enter the product key from Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 used to activate the prior Windows version on the same device to activate Windows 10 by going to Settings > Update & security > Activation and selecting Change Product Key.
If you do a clean install of Windows 10 by booting off the media, you can also enter the product key from prior Windows versions on qualifying devices during setup.“
- Last printer is default printer: A new mode introduced in this build will make your last printer as default printer. This change helps ensure the best printer is preselected in inbox print dialogs. Settings > Devices > Printer & Scanners to change this to the previous way Windows handled default printers
The ability to set a default printer by network location has been removed.
Issues fixed in Build 10565:
- No warning messages now in the Settings app > Update & Security > Windows Update regarding changed ring settings for preview builds unless you actually change your ring settings.
- When apps like Groove minimized,background audio playback works.
- Clicking on system icons in notification area used to result in Windows Shell blocking the launch of fly-outs like audio, networking is fixed.
- Many of the context menus adjusted making them smaller to be used with mouse.
- Can pin Contacts to Start menu from people app.
- Some apps won’t appear twice when pinned to taskbar.
- Hiding desktop icons via context menu on desktop now works. (refer this for the issue)
- Automatic updating of Windows Store apps now works.
Know issue in Build 10565:
- If in your locale Cortana is not supported then Search will not work. Microsoft to provide a workaround soon.
- The Xbox app for Windows 10 will consume gigabytes of memory on your PC if you have any Win32 games (non -Windows Store games) installed on your PC that have been identified as games or added by you in the Xbox app. Closing the Xbox app will release your PC’s memory.
- WebM and VP9 have been temporarily removed from the flight builds. VP9 to return in future builds.
- Small form-factor devices, like the Dell Venue 8 Pro, that boot with rotation or virtual mode screen size set larger than the physical screen size will experience a bluescreen on upgrade and will roll back to the previous build.
UPDATE 19/10/2015 :
- Microsoft has rolled out this build also to Slow Ring.
- Microsoft has also published ISOs for build 10565 for Windows Insiders. So Insiders who would like to move to latest build through a clean install or like to validate using the new activation experience during setup can also try. (A bit about new activation posted above). Insiders can get the ISOs from here.