The software's sharing feature is an easy way to send others large files - no more trying to zip files to get them through email, burning to CD/DVD, or uploading to a website. To use FolderShare, you must download and install the FolderShare Satellite - the software that is installed on the device(s) you want to sync or share files with. This software runs in the background and automatically updates your files on the other connected devices. The software, part of Windows Live Services, works on Windows 2000, XP, Vista, or OSX and it's completely free! FolderShare can be downloaded here.
(source:Sync Your Files with Windows Live FolderShare)
How it works :
FolderShare is a service that allows you to securely keep files synchronized between your devices, share files with friends or colleagues, and remotely download your files from any web browser. FolderShare consists of two components - My FolderShare and the FolderShare Satellite.
My FolderShare: Configure and manage your account from here.
- Go to www.foldershare.com from any web browser and login to access your "My FolderShare" page.
- From here you can do any of the following:
- Setup devices to sync or share with
- Invite others (via email address) to share your files
- Manage your account - upgrade your subscription, change your email address or password
- Get help
- Download the latest software
- The FolderShare Satellite will run in the background when you are online.
- As you update shared or synced files, it will automatically update them on the other devices connected.
So let us see how Windows Live SkyDrive and this service do.
UPDATE: I came to know that, as said, Microsoft had acquired this service long time back and also under Live service since long time.